THE GRAHAM-CASSIDY BILL TO REPEAL THE AFFORDABLE CARE ACT IS THE MOST DEVASTATING YET.
IT COULD PASS, AND WE HAVE A GOOD CHANCE OF BEATING IT WITH YOUR HELP.
ISSUE: First, thank you for all you have done to fight the decimation of health care in the U.S. This is the last ditch effort to kill the Affordable Care Act. Senate Republicans are trying to slam through the latest version of TrumpCare by September 30, after which they will need 60 votes – which they don’t have – to push their destructive agenda. This bill is worse than the repeal bills killed three times before. Senators who voted against previous bills to repeal the Affordable Care Act are saying they might support Graham-Cassidy, and the vote could be extremely close. This is not a time for complacency. We must fight back once again!
Much more extreme than other versions of TrumpCare, Graham-Cassidy would:
- End federal protections for people with pre-existing conditions (including HIV, hepatitis C, cancer, asthma, and diabetes.)
- Allow insurers to deny essential health benefits to sick people, including prescription drugs, labs, hospitalization, contraception, preventive services and much more
- Decimate Medicaid, which covers 70 million Americans, dramatically restructuring the program, ending Medicad expansions, cutting $1 trillion out of traditional Medicaid which serves seniors, people with disabilities and low-income families, and sharply reducing federal government payments to the states. California alone could lose $57 billion a year in federal support for health care coverage.
- Destabilizing and possibly collapsing the individual market by ending federal subsidies to lower income Americans, leaving states to devise their own coverage markets with new rules by 2020, and causing serious uncertainty in the individual insurance arena which could cause insurers to dramatically raise premiums or leave the marketplace.
- Take health care coverage away from tens of millions of people. This bill would likely cause even more Americans to lose health care coverage than the previous iterations but because they are deliberately ramming the bill through without waiting for an analysis from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO), we don’t even know how many millions of people will be affected.
- We cannot allow health care to be destroyed, let’s stay strong and united for one more fight! It is equally important to call your Senators and your Representatives now. If the Senate does pass the bill, it must be stopped in the House. This is not the bill that your Representative voted for and they will not have the chance to amend it in conference. It is a take it or leave it option and your Representative must tell Republican Leader Paul Ryan that they will not vote for a bill that ends Medicaid
as we know it and risks collapsing the individual market cause millions to lose
ACTION:To find your Senator or House representative click here.
“Hello, I am a constituent of Senator [NAME]. I am calling because I am a person living with HIV or hepatitis C/advocate for people living with HIV and hepatitis C, and I am gravely concerned about the introduction of the Graham-Cassidy bill, which will cause millions of people to lose health care coverage, and will especially affect seniors and people with disabilities. Has Senator [NAME] taken a position on the Graham-Cassidy bill yet? [If yes], What is it? [Yes or No]: Please tell Senator [NAME] that I urge her/him to oppose the Graham-Cassidy bill and ANY further attempts to dismantle healthcare and cut Medicaid.”
Mark your calendar for NATIONAL CALL IN DAY, TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 26. Organize everyone you know to make calls on that day. You can organize a phone bank to make calls to amplify the effect. Here are some tips on organizing a phone bank from our friends at the HIV Prevention Justice Alliance.